What is effective advertising, and why do many marketing campaigns operate at a loss? The question of the effectiveness of advertising is extremely relevant, especially in a world where the average person is flooded with information and trained in every way to ignore blatant marketing. You need to do serious analytical work in order to create truly effective ads.
In short, effective advertising is that advertising which:
- Ensures maximum coverage of target audience;
- Is focused on the needs of the target audience and their satisfaction;
- Is creative, non-trivial and interesting to the potential client;
- Brings valuable information about the advertised product to the consumer;
- Creates a positive image of the promoted product;
- Encourages purchase.
Effective advertising starts with proper positioning of the product in the market. Today, professional marketers allocate such levels of positioning:
- Today, professional marketers allocate such levels of positioning: Socio-demographic positioning. The product is advertised in such a way as to indicate its belonging to a specific population or specific style.
- Functional positioning. In this case, the buyer's attention is directed to the convenience and functionality of the proposed product. Price as a factor of buying in this positioning is relegated to the background.
- Rational positioning. Buyers focus on the benefits and advantages of a particular product in comparison with competitors. This kind of positioning is designed for a pragmatic audience of buyers, who completely or partially ignores the value of the brand itself.
- Emotional positioning. In this case, the marketing plays on the emotions of the buyer, showing the hidden value of a particular product. This is the case when the customer acquires the goods in order to have the feeling of making a purchase.
- Value positioning. In this variant of positioning the buyer sees a certain value in the goods. This format of positioning is used by many popular brands that invest in the price value of its brand.
Advertising and myth
You will be surprised, but a successful advertising campaign was built around the mythical properties of the products. The most famous example the men's deodorant Axe, which has special properties to help seduce the girl. A more subtle example is Apple, which offers products at a price higher than the market, justifying it by the special technical and design characteristics of its electronics.
Is it possible to say that effective advertising is the advertising that distorts the real properties of the goods to the seller? It's not so simple. Effective advertising really should focus on the competitive advantages of the product. But the company is free to choose or not to use aggressive marketing. In most cases, the manufacturer takes care about their reputation, before prescribing the mythical properties of their products. However, a promotional video and the story remain very close concepts.
What is effective advertising?
For anybody it is not a secret that effective advertising should help increase sales. However, the success of the company in the market is determined not only byquantity of the sold goods, but also business reputation and prospect of the brand. The objective of advertising is not only to solve tactical problems, such as increasing turnover and expansion of the client base, but also creating long-term marketing platform for the future. That is why effective advertising starts with the identification of the target audience's needs and meets those needs with the promoted product. This resorts to a comprehensive marketing research that allows you to more accurately understand the buyer and to create the appropriate advertising strategy
Effective advertising begins with an objective assessment of the market, its segmentation into separate categories and define your target audience. The more accurate detailed portrait of a potential buyer is the more authentic and effective the advertising concept will be. The marketer must analyze all possible variants of positioning of the goods and to find a balance between emotional, rational, valuable, functional and socio-demographic positioning. The optimal combination of all these components will help to find a niche in the market and to launch effective advertising.
Selection of advertising channels
Today, there are many areas of Internet advertising and offline advertising. We will talk about Internet advertising, because it must be applied in the early stages of project development.
The promotion channel is selected in accordance with the characteristics of product positioning. For example, the social network Instagram is perfect for emotional and values-based positioning, while the contextual advertising is more suitable for a rational and functional positioning.
Practice shows that involvement of multiple advertising channels allows to achieve synergistic effect and to determine the most cost effective advertising tools. Therefore, in order to create effective ads, you need to test the most promising marketing channels, analyze results and focus on the most profitable directions.
The ability to create effective advertising is an art and the result of numerous failed attempts. Today it is exhibited quite different requirements than a few years ago. Trivial marketing moves and hackneyed phrase don’t work anymore, and marketers have to carefully examine the needs of the target audience to make the advertising campaign really effective.